Friday, April 8, 2011

Need a rock?



Last week, I was teaching a kid's class at church, and the story of Jacob's dream was the topic at hand. Unfortunately, I hadn't studied this story before teaching, so I got stuck at the part where Jacob falls asleep after finding a rock to rest his head on.


Wow. My ADHD set in. My mind traveled from the message of the story to, "I wonder what kind of headache he woke up with? Aspirin, anyone???"


Besides the fact that a rock would be notoriously uncomfortable, it was a solid place to rest. It represented quiet strength.


It made me think... In the writing realm, we all need someone who is there for us in our times of need - just like a rock. Someone who is steady and tells us not to scrap that story idea that we are 2 seconds away from deleting. Someone who pulls us up when we are down, and is there to cheer you on when you get a publisher's approval.


So take some advice from Jacob... Everyone needs a rock.


P.S. However, for all other occasions, I would suggest a feather pillow instead. :-)

No comments: